Reading All-Stars is a program where volunteers trained by United Way Suncoast read with children of Manatee County. At least once per week, virtual reading sessions are held to support a child’s literacy development. Review the below information and complete the application to start the process of becoming a Reading All-Stars volunteer.
Volunteers agree to the below program guidelines and will:
- Complete a Level II background check, paid for by United Way Suncoast.
- Attend the mandatory training session for the Reading All-Stars program and participate in ongoing training to improve the quality of sessions.
- Register for a minimum of one, hour-long session per week throughout the academic school year.
- Reading All-Stars will run the length of the academic school year which can be 27-30 weeks long, depending on how COVID-19 may impact local school schedules.
- Have access to a digital device with access to the internet.
- Participate using Zoom. In addition, volunteers will:
- Join meetings on-time. Due to the structure of the program, sessions are restricted to the pre-designated times and cannot be adjusted.
- Have the camera option turned on to engage with the student and have a clean, appropriate background.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Not display any inappropriate behavior.
- Provide an environment that is free from distractions.
- Notify their Reading All-Stars program coordinator a minimum of 24 hours in advance if they are unable to attend a session.
Volunteers agree to the below safety and security guidelines and will:
- Not contact participating families and/or students outside of the Reading All-Stars program time unless already participating with the student in another mentorship-focused program, i.e. Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Report any abusive or neglectful behavior witnessed during the Reading All-Stars session. Abuse and neglect reporting protocols set forth by the state can be found here.
- Understand that sessions are recorded for safety and quality purposes.
- Not take pictures, screenshots, or video recordings of any participating students during their session.
- Not ask students about any personal information such as address and phone number.
- Complete their background check prior to being matched with a Reading All-Stars student.
Volunteers are subject to immediate termination if found in violation of any terms and conditions listed above.
To access this form you must be logged in to your account. Please log in and try again. If you are already logged in, you may not have the necessary rights to view the form.