Reading All-Stars is a program where volunteers trained by United Way Suncoast read with children of Manatee County. At least once per week, virtual reading sessions are held to support a child’s literacy development. Review the below information and complete the application to start the process of becoming a Reading All-Stars volunteer.
Volunteers agree to the below program guidelines and will:
- Complete a Level II background check, paid for by United Way Suncoast.
- Attend the mandatory training session for the Reading All-Stars program and participate in ongoing training to improve the quality of sessions.
- Register for a minimum of one, hour-long session per week throughout the academic school year.
- Reading All-Stars will run the length of the academic school year which can be 27-30 weeks long, depending on how COVID-19 may impact local school schedules.
- Have access to a digital device with access to the internet.
- Participate using Zoom. In addition, volunteers will:
- Join meetings on-time. Due to the structure of the program, sessions are restricted to the pre-designated times and cannot be adjusted.
- Have the camera option turned on to engage with the student and have a clean, appropriate background.
- Wear appropriate clothing.
- Not display any inappropriate behavior.
- Provide an environment that is free from distractions.
- Notify their Reading All-Stars program coordinator a minimum of 24 hours in advance if they are unable to attend a session.
Volunteers agree to the below safety and security guidelines and will:
- Not contact participating families and/or students outside of the Reading All-Stars program time unless already participating with the student in another mentorship-focused program, i.e. Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Report any abusive or neglectful behavior witnessed during the Reading All-Stars session. Abuse and neglect reporting protocols set forth by the state can be found here.
- Not take pictures, screenshots, or video recordings of any participating students during their session.
- Not ask students about any personal information such as address and phone number.
- Complete their background check prior to being matched with a Reading All-Stars student.
Volunteers are subject to immediate termination if found in violation of any terms and conditions listed above.