Following recommendations from the CDC and Florida Department of Health, United Way Suncoast will continue to offer in-person and virtual tax preparation services throughout our region by appointment only.
VITA connects low-to-moderate income residents in the Suncoast Region with trained volunteer tax preparers who file their tax returns for free. This is a great opportunity for you, your friends, family, or co-workers to help Suncoast households receive quality tax preparation services.
In-person locations are available in DeSoto, Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Sarasota counties that offer day, evening and weekend opportunities.
Virtual opportunities are available for tax preparers.
There are a variety of volunteer roles for this program and not all require tax knowledge:
- Tax Preparers - accurately prepare and e-file tax returns for over 19,000 working families.
- Greeters - do not need tax knowledge! They welcome taxpayers, verify that they have all required documents and information, and ensure that they fill out the necessary intake forms.
- Interpreters - can assist at various levels: prepare taxes, greet taxpayers or interpret only. Bilingual volunteers are needed at all sites.
Volunteers will receive between four and thirty hours of training (depending on the volunteer position selected) and will volunteer at one of the free tax locations (in-person or virtual) during the tax filing season.
Interested? View this document with information on how to become a volunteer. For questions on volunteering, email VolunteerVITA@UWSuncoast.org.
Are you a VITA Certified Volunteer?
- In-Person Volunteering: Click Here to see a calendar of VITA project dates.
- Virtual Volunteering: Due to the large volume of virtual volunteers, this opportunity is now closed. Please consider in-person volunteer opportunities.
- If you are an approved virtual volunteer, report your hours here.