VITA connects low-to-moderate income residents in the Suncoast Region with trained volunteer tax preparers who file their tax returns for free. This is a great opportunity for you, your friends, family, or co-workers to help Suncoast households receive quality tax preparation services.
- Tax Preparers - accurately prepare and e-file tax returns for over 19,000 working families.
- Greeters/Screeners - do not need tax knowledge! They welcome taxpayers, verify that they have all required documents and information, and ensure that they fill out the necessary intake forms.
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
- Create a United Way Suncoast volunteer account or login to your existing account.
- Fill out the 2022 VITA Volunteer Interest Form. (link will be added soon)
- Link and Learn: create an account or login to your previous account (more information will be added soon).
- TaxSlayer: create an account or login to your previous account (more information will be added soon).
- Complete the United Way Suncoast Orientation Session:
- Tax Preparer: register for a shift
- Greeter/Screener: (link will be added soon)
- Pick up training materials. (locations/dates/times pending)
- Based on skill level, use the below IRS Certification Trainings to prepare for the required exams (more information will be added soon).
- Pass the required IRS Certification exams.
- Once you complete and pass your IRS Certification, electronically sign and save a PDF copy of your volunteer agreement (not certificate) and email to email@example.com. (A sample volunteer agreement will be added soon)
- For the 2022 tax season, volunteers will be unable to register unless this form has been submitted and added to their volunteer account.
- Please allow 1-3 business days for our team to process. Volunteers will receive an email confirmation when they can begin registering for shifts.
- Volunteers will need to keep several copies of the volunteer agreement as they'll need to bring them to each site. The agreement can be found on the main page of their Link and Learn account once the exams are completed (column on right-hand side).
- Sign up for VITA opportunities.
- Once the above requirements have been met, you will be able to sign up for VITA opportunities. (link will be added once available)
NEW TO VITA?
Join one of our optional Learning Labs led by an IRS professional who can help answer your questions.
For questions on volunteering, email VolunteerVITA@UWSuncoast.org.