LEAP Tampa Bay College Access Network and United Way Suncoast are proud to offer volunteers a chance to help students and families in Tampa Bay complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as a first step toward education or training after high school. Nearly half of the students who would qualify for this free federal funding do not apply, leaving millions of dollars of college financial aid unclaimed.
We help train you about FAFSA completion so you can better assist students and their families. Join us and help connect students to the financial aid they need to make their dreams come true!
Interested in helping? Follow these easy steps:
Step 1: Get up to speed on FAFSA. Watch our half-hour training video and get the basic information about completing the FAFSA which will help you answer student/family questions. You will be volunteering in school settings with educational professionals and volunteers who can help you if you come across FAFSA questions outside your expertise. Click here to view the video once you are ready.
Step 2: Get clearance. Today, school safety is paramount to all of us, so we thank you for getting clearance from the school district for which you are most likely to volunteer (you are welcome to volunteer in both counties if you wish). There is no cost to you for this clearance. Please try and submit this information 2-4 weeks prior to your volunteer commitment, if possible.
For Hillsborough County, complete this online application. You will need the information below to complete the online application:
- Select the high schools in which you plan to volunteer. At this point in the process, you may not know which high schools have the FAFSA completion events, so choose a high school you know, or that is near you, and you may add others after you see where the opportunities are located.
- For Volunteer Category, select Speaker – School.
- For Group Affiliation, select LEAP Tampa Bay.
- For Special Skills, write FAFSA Completion.
- Submit the form. LEAP Tampa Bay will get notification of your application within two weeks and will contact you once you have been approved.
For Pinellas County, complete this online application. You will need the information below to complete the online application:
- List the high schools in which you plan to volunteer. At this point in the process, you may not know which high schools have FAFSA completion events, so you may select “Admin Building” and add others after you see where the opportunities are located.
- For Interest, check High School Level.
- For Volunteer Position, choose Other and write LEAP Tampa Bay in the blank area.
- Submit the form. Pinellas County Schools will contact you once your application has been reviewed.
Step 3: Get Started! Click here to check out the schedule of FAFSA & Financial Aid events and sign up! If you have not received a notification of your clearance and your volunteer day is approaching, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
For more information or questions, contact Becky Gilmore, LEAP Tampa Bay College Access Network Program Coordinator at email@example.com or call (813) 609-4866.